Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Hazelnuts...The Humble Underdog

Happy National Nut Day!
Almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, even macadamia nuts all have their special day...but not the yumful hazelnut!
In honor of this humble underdog of the nut world, let's make today Hazelnut Day!
BTW...some people call them filberts.  :)

from Rachel at Almonds and Avocados

from Mira Deutsch

from Márcia at Compassionate Cuisine

from Lindy Loo at Yeah, That "Vegan" Shit

from Matt at Our Veggie Kitchen

from Josephine at A Tasty Love Story

from Mihl at Seitan Is My Motor

from Vegetarian Times

from Mihl at Seitan Is My Motor

from Heather at with a Side of Sneakers

Most hazelnut aficionados recommend skinning hazelnuts to remove any bitter taste. Here's how...
Using baking soda and boiling water from Mattie at VeganBaking
By roasting and rubbing from Stephanie at 52 Kitchen Adventures
Or you can buy them blanched.

Are you head over heels over hazelnuts? Have you used hazelnut milk or hazelnut flour in your recipes? What other underdog foods deserve a holiday?

8 comments:

  1. Pistachios, macadamias and cashews are my favorite nuts! And of course hazelnuts for the milk & "nutella", miam miam miam! I would go for the creamy nutty sauces, raw milk or nut cheeses..not so much for the textures from these photos.

    There's a raw hazelnut milk recipe at Koko's Kitchen blog, so good! I'm always head over heels over hazelnuts... I still have to finish up the vegan hazelnut "nutella" (italian brand) i bought in spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohgoodgolly I just saw the Hazelnut Cashew Milk over at Koko's blog...yumza! Pistachios, macs and cashews are my faves too and I love mixing nuts in homemade milks so I'd try any of them in this recipe.
      Did you know there's a World Nutella Day? Yep, true, Feb. 5th. Make sure you have a jar at the ready. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hazelnuts are great- perfect in a chocolate brownie or a savoury roast! My grannie had some hazel bushes and I used to get to eat them fresh and raw- a real seasonal delight! I have used ground hazelnuts for a cheesecake base before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandmas can be the coolest people on earth, especially if they have yumful fruit and nut gardens. :)
      Hazelnut-based cheesecake...I've got to try this! I see you put hazelnuts to good use in your Chocolate and Nut Balls...I love quick and delicious date-nut treats!

      Delete
  3. You must have been thinking of me when you chose hazelnuts- I've recently fallen back in love with them, after discovering how much more appealing they are once skinned and toasted. A little bit more work, a huge difference in flavor! Now I can't stop adding them to everything, sweet and savory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Hazelnut-Rosemary Crackers look especially tempting. Besides my own snacking on them, I think they'd make a wonderful gift with a box of tea or a bottle of exotic gourmet oil...maybe roasted hazelnut oil or rosemary-infused oil to carry the theme. :)

      Delete
  4. I adore hazelnuts. While I haven't made anything with them, I have eaten them whole and we love the hazelnut burgers that Comet Cafe & Honeypie have. Palomino has an oatmeal with roasted hazelnuts in it that I really want to try, too!

    ReplyDelete