Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Nacho Nostalgia and Disappearing Barstools

Happy National Nachos Day!
Nachos are one of those foods that strike off a stream of merry college bar-hopping memories for me. Boatloads of beer (well, 1 or 2 for me...I'm not a beernut), lots of quarters-bouncing (it's all in the wrist), at least one sneaky barstool snatch (Laura had a legendary collection) and never enough bar nachos. The best bars served the biggest plates, fully loaded and mountain-high.  ;)

Now every time I see a giant plate of cheezy chips piled up and dripping with salsa, I think of the best friends in the world and salty spicy smiley times. I love nacho nostalgia.  :)

from Jes at Eating Appalachia

from Cadry's Kitchen

from Lisa at The Vegan Pact

from Becky at Glue and Glitter

from Namely Marly

from Betsy at The Blooming Platter

from Kristy at Keepin' It Kind

from Kristy at Keepin' It Kind

from Amy at Fragrant Vanilla Cake

from Heidi at Food Doodles

Nachable vegan chips...
Beanfields...Nacho, Sea Salt, Unsalted, Salt N' Pepper, and Pico de Gallo
Beanitos...Restaurant-Style, Original Black Bean, Simply Pinto and Chipotle BBQ
Cabo Chips...Original Flavor and Blue Corn with Sea Salt and Lime
Late July...Sea Salt by the Seashore, How Sweet Potato It Is, Red Hot Mojo, Sub Lime and Cure for the Summertime Blues
Way Better...Multi-Grain, Black Bean, Sweeet Potato, Sweet Chili, Unbeatable Blues, No Salt Naked Blues and Punkin Cranberry

How do you like your nachos? Do you eat them with plain chips or flavored chips? Share a little of your best nacho nostalgia...what's your happiest nacho moment? Feel free to share naughty bar-hopping memories too.  ;)

6 comments:

  1. I definitely like my nachos with plain chips or kale chips. Piles of salsa and dripping with a vegan nacho cheese sauce I invented a few months ago. Plus a big dollop of guacamole or some slices of avocado on top. The only nacho memories I have are of making them in one veggie restaurant job I had in the late 90's. Anyone who ordered the large nachos could never finish them, we piled the plate so high! Once when I was making the pico de gallo for them some chilli juice squirted into my eyes- ouch! from then on I was always very careful with chillis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Vegan Nachos are so light and cheery and with 2 yumful cheeses! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh man you've inspired me to make nachos tomorrow night! All great options. I want to try putting tempeh on them; I've never done them.

    Thanks for the list of good nacho chips. My mom bought me those famous Xochitl chips, the big brown bag, I don't know it's famous. ANYWAY, they are the saltiest things I've ever eaten and I had to wash them off in order to choke them down. So weird. Ok, end of little story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...I've never thought of washing off the salt but it's a good idea. Might need a crisp up in the oven but it's better than salt-puckered lips!
      Enjoy your nachos! :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! I love Nachos! Mmmmmm! Love them with slow cooked black beans & Daiya cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohgoodgolly your Slow-Cooked Black Beans Nachos are screaming my name! I might sub in seared tofu for the chorizo then start munching away cuz this plate of yum won't last long around here! :)

      Delete